lick your elbow

Saturday, May 13, 2006

I’m able to eat “real” food right now, but my throat is so f**king dry. For the past few days I’m only able to eat food with preservatives. It’s either that or I don’t eat anything at all. I have this thing about making decisions, when I can’t decide on where to go, what to do, (or what to eat for that matter); I don’t do (or eat) anything. When I feel that I am thinking too much (about a certain thing or problem), I shut down (kinda voluntary) and sleep.

We’re going to Laguna in a little while; we’re pushing with the outing despite the typhoon…cool.

I’ve wanted to write about this for quite a time now. Well, something happened that made me remember information given by our high school English teacher during one of our discussions: Wordsworth and Coleridge were like friends, but they opposed each other’s method in writing. For Coleridge, it was better to write at the “height of the emotion” because it is when we can capture the emotion best. Wordsworth, on the other hand, thinks otherwise; when we write at the height of the emotion, we tend to exaggerate or it will come out exaggerated. I think both writers have a point, but I’m more on Coleridge’s side. I think you can describe an emotion better if you’re still feeling it. It’s hard to imagine feeling a certain emotion, right? (What do you think jL?)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Coleridge opinion more acceptable. Although Wordsworth has a point. There such thing as aesthetic distance—the distance of the author from the text. You can’t put too much of yourself (too much of your emotions) in what you are writing. For some reason, it works that way. Maybe what Wordsworth is pointing out is that you shouldn’t write at the peek of your emotions because of the need to create this distance. On the other hand, I find it a bit extreme to avoid writing at the height of your emotions. Writing is an outlet. Sometimes people write just to stay sane. And, as I have told you, if the text turned out bad (because you wrote it at the “height of your emotions”), you can always revise.

It’s good to hear that you’re finally eating something with no preservatives. =)

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mas guto ko yung dati mong layout. update mo na 'to.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoy. update mo nga 'to!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually do not create a leave a response, however I
browsed a bunch of responses here Untitled. I do have some questions for you if you don't mind. Is it simply me or do a few of the remarks look like they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you list of every one of your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

my page - clarkconnect cccam 2.1 4

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally someone writes about languageless.

my web page openbox s11 hd

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home